Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Trying hard not to laugh

Teaching Kindergarten brings so much joy to my life.  My students and I laugh together because learning is fun!  Some times I make them laugh - when I’m acting out a silly story or when I drop something (for some reason the dropping of markers never gets old).   But there are occasions when it is not appropriate for me to laugh.  For example, when a student's answer is so far out in left field I want to giggle, but I can’t.  Here are a few interactions I had last week during DIBELS testing:
Me:  Here is mouse, flowers, pillow, letters.  Mouse begins with the sound mmmm, mmmm mouse.  Which picture starts with the sounds /fl/?
Student:  Mouse
Me:  Pillow begins with the sound/p/, /p/ pillow.  What sound does letters begin with?
Student:  Pillow?
Me:  Letters begins with the sound /l/.  Listen, /l/ letters.  Let’s try it again - what sound does letters begin with?
Student:  Mouse?
Me:  Letters begins with the sound /l/.  Listen, /l/ letters.  Let’s try it again - what sound does letters begin with?
Student:  Flowers?
Me:  What sound does ______ begin with?
Student:  Chicken?
Me:  What sound does ______ begin with?
Student:  Grasshopper?
Me:  What sound does ______ begin with?
Student:  Heart?
I try very hard not to laugh.  After a few more interactions like these, however, it becomes very hard not to cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment