Friday, November 12, 2010

Mayflower mayhem

This week we learned about how and why the Pilgrims sailed to North American on the Mayflower.  We looked at photographs of the Mayflower II, a replica of the original in Plymouth, MA.  My boys and I visited the ship a few years ago and so the photographs include both of them.  My class always enjoys hearing about my boys since they are also students at the school.

We talked about how little the Pilgrims were able to bring on the ship because space was very limited.  I use this as a writing prompt every year and the answers the students had this year were amusing.  Most kids say they would bring their favorite stuffed animal.  This year one little guy matter of factly told us he would bring his undies.  I tried my best to keep a straight face, but it was tough!  One little guy (who is learning English) said he would bring X and Y, my two boys!  I couldn't tell if he said that because he thinks it would be fun to go with them or if he just wanted to write about what he saw in the picture.  It's so hard to tell what is in a child's brain!

This afternoon we made paper versions of the Mayflower.  It was the perfect way to end the week - lots of cutting and pasting!  They were so excited to make their own Mayflowers and there would have been mutiny if I tried to keep their Mayflowers for a bulletin board display!

We had a little extra time so they asked if they could draw Pilgrims on their Mayflowers.  I love to walk around and have them explain their pictures:
     This (pointing to a circle) is the CANON!
     I drew rope that goes to the sails and this guy (pointing to guy with giant hands) is working!
     This is the plank.
     I put bad guys on my ship!
     My ship has a flag!
     Mine has a anchor!
     Mine too!

They weren't historically accurate, but their enthusiasm was priceless.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment