Sunday, October 24, 2010

Do you teach Kindergarten so you can be taller than your students?

Yes, someone actually asked me that at church today.  No, I am not that short.

I teach Kindergarten because. . .
     I love helping children learn how to read and write.
     Five year olds are hilarious - especially when they are serious
     I'm allowed to be silly at work
     I love reading and sharing great picture books with children
     The joy on a child's face when they learn how to do something is priceless
     We sing lots of songs
     I understand how to help most five year olds learn - in other words, I can think like a five year old
  
I could go on and on, but I think you get the point.  I am a Kindergarten teacher - it's who I am.  At the end of my very first day teaching Kindergarten, a coworker asked how my day went.  My response was, "I was born to be a Kindergarten teacher!"   Three years later, I feel the same way.  I knew I wanted to be a teacher, but now I've found my calling.

No, I do not teach Kindergarten so I can be taller than my students.  In fact, most days you'll find me sitting on the floor  or crouched down next to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment